Where it all began
Emprise Mobility started life as Mandurah Mobility Products in 1994 - a small, local business - selling the Linshaw Power Chair, one of the first ever mobility scooters to enter the market, designed and built by Bradshaw Engineering in Mandurah.
Starting in Milgar Street, and moving to 45 Reserve Drive in 2003, Mandurah Mobility Products has been Mandurah’s first choice for “gophers”, walking aid, bathroom and toilet aids, wheelchairs and more since 1994.
In the first years, the product range grew slowly. Between 1994 and 2005, the business had 5 owners.
Shaun and Carole bought Mandurah Mobility Products in 2005 and continue to own and operate the business today.
How things are today
Just like mobility scooters, things have changed since 1994. With the amazing support of the Mandurah and Peel Community, the business has grown and now has a major presence in Perth as well as throughout WA – with customers from Esperance to Kununurra.
In April 2021, almost 16 years since Emprise bought Mandurah Mobility Products, the team that started with one manager, one sales assistant and one Service technician became a team of 30 (and was still growing), including our Occupational Therapist team. We joke that we used to be able to do a stocktake by standing in the middle of the showroom floor at 45 Reserve Drive and counting - two shower chairs, 4 scooters, and so on. We now have a 900 square metre devoted warehouse and 6 full time warehouse/delivery staff - reflecting not only our growing business, but the ever growing range of products available to help people enjoy more everyday living in every day.
The business has changed substantially, reflecting the changes in the aged care and disability landscape in Australia, driven heavily by government initiatives to provide more and better options for people facing challenges arising from age and/or disability. We still provide an extensive range and high quality support for retail customers, but we now also work with organisation, NDIS, DVA and Home Care Packages to provide "best fit" solutions for individuals.
Our "customer" will always be the individual who receives our products, no matter who funds the hire or purchase. We're about providing optimal outcomes for each individual and work with funding organisations, plan managers and private therapists to get the right result.
- Mandurah Mobility Products bought by Emprise Pty Ltd, Shaun and Carole's family company.
- In 2010, as a result of growing stairlift sales, we created Emprise Stairlifts, to provide more focus for our stairlift and wheelchair lift offerings.
- In 2011, we became a Western Australian sub-contractor for the Department of Veterans' Affairs Rehabilitation Appliance Program (DVA RAP).
- In 2012 we leased our first warehouse, rapidly outgrowing it and moving into one twice the size less than a year later.
- Our Perth showroom, opened in Bibra Lake in June 2016 and was our first, significant step to introducing the name Emprise Mobility to Western Australia. We moved our warehouse to Bibra Lake at the same time.
- We became a registered NDIS Provider in 2017.
- In December 2018, after a careful review of where we feel we can add the most value to the community, we decided to close our Emprise Stairlifts business and focus on Emprise Mobility. This part of our business continues to grow and we feel it warrants our full focus. We will continue to offer and grow our extensive range of mobility equipment, daily living aids and other assistive technology but will no longer sell and install stairlifts and platform lifts.
- In January 2019, we employed an Occupational Therapist, to support our customers and staff.
- In September 2020 we created our Occupational Therapy team - jumping from 1 to 4 OTs (and in January 2021, we increased the team again, hiring 2 new graduates).
- In 2020 we partnered with the OT Services Group and four other local Western Australian assistive technology providers to create the Solutions Centre, that opened in early 2021 in Malaga.
- In January 2021 we moved our warehouse - yes, it is even bigger again, reflecting the growing number of products that we offer and our growing business.
- In April 2021 - with both sadness and excitement, we rebranded the Mandurah Mobility Products building in Mandurah to Emprise Mobility. A few tears were shed as the Mandurah Mobility sign was painted out but the new branding symbolised the enormous change the business has seen and how that change has enhanced our ability to support our customers.
- Also in April 2021, we opened a brand new retail showroom in Mandurah and repurposed our existing Mandurah premises to be a dedicated Service Centre (for repairs, maintenance and parts).
- Where to next? Watch this space - our next showroom is currently in planning.
Since our beginnings with Mandurah Mobility products in 2005, our business has expanded to almost every corner of WA. Our customers, once only from the Mandurah/Peel area, are now all over Western Australia - from Kununurra to Esperance.
When the business opened a new Perth showroom in 2016, it opened under the “Emprise Mobility” name. Why “Emprise”? In 1997, when naming their company, Shaun and Carole wanted the name to reflect who they were and the values that their business would represent. Emprise is an old English word:
Emprise: "An undertaking, enterprise; esp. one of an adventurous or chivalrous nature. Chivalric enterprise, martial prowess."
Chivalry: "The system of behaviour followed by knights in the medieval period of history that put a high value on honour, kindness and courage."
Translated into modern terms, the team at Emprise Mobility believes that “emprise” describes both the company and each of its business undertakings - a challenging undertaking, to which they are committed to succeed, that is approached with professionalism, initiative, creativity, innovation, courage, honour, skill and experience.